Moparts

Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future

Posted By: A12

Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 02:28 AM

Seems that just about every manufacture has a "Destroyer/Battleship Gray" now and it seems to be one of those love it or hate it colors like GREEN Mopars of the muscle car era. So I'm wondering if these Destroyer Gray/Grey cars will be loved or hated 40 or 50 years from now??

"Hey now that your car is in primer what color do you plan to paint it when it's dried"?

[Linked Image]

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 02:47 AM

[quote=A12]Seems that just about every manufacture has a "Destroyer/Battleship Gray" now and it seems to be one of those love it or hate it colors like GREEN Mopars of the muscle car era. So I'm wondering if these Destroyer Gray/Grey cars will be loved or hated 40 or 50 years from now??

"Hey now that your car is in primer what color do you plan to paint it when it's dried"?

"F8 GREEN OF COURSE"

How could one not like F8 GREEN better than Destroyed Gray ?? Just me I guess, but Destroyer Gray is nice too and almost talked my son into buying a Destroyer Gray AWD Challenger GT a few month ago..........because they didn't have a F8 Challenger grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 03:19 AM

I prefer green laugh2
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 06:37 AM

That green looks great to me. The Gray is absolutely horrible. It really does look like a trailer park primer job with a clear coat over it. It is the liver and onions, the sardines, the buttermilk, the black licorice of the paint choices!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BloFish
I prefer green laugh2

Me too.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 11:56 AM

Was close to pulling the trigger on a " Sting Grey" trackhawk near 2 years ago, absolutely love that color, right next to it was a red eye challenger in F8. Love that color too.

Want to see what I consider a modern day version of a high impact color? Find a dealership with a vehicle painted " Sangria", pictures do not give the effects that walking up to it does, just an amazing color.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 01:32 PM

If there had been a new Destroyer Grey Scatty available- I would have pulled the trigger on THAT vs the white one.

GREEN ? is ok but reminds me of Kermit da FROG !

I had considered THIS USED ONE off eBay ....

Attached picture 82BC8BE3-6DAF-4343-8789-2D54641AB4F8.png
Posted By: wingman

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 01:41 PM

Green was a hugely popular color among all the manufacturers of the day. And not just on muscle cars--it was painted on many, many daily drivers, cheap cars, etc. It was part of the whole "earth tones" trend that took over our homes as well.

The "Battleship gray" is definitely a fad--but I see it very rarely on the roads and almost always on higher-end models.

If anything "silver" of today is the "green" of back then. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a silver/gray car these days.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 01:56 PM

Having spent 4 years on a destroyer, it doesn't both me and it's not really the same shade anyway.
Posted By: MONC

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 01:59 PM

IMO that "color" looks like modeling clay, dull drab and puke

Would much rather have F8 that pla blah gray...
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 02:49 PM

I can live with F8 as long as the car isn't green inside and out. Destroyer Gray or whatever it's called is hideous.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Will the battleship gray of today be the green of the past? - 11/16/20 03:09 PM

I think its ok, but if they didnt limit the number of units made to that color id of made it a limited run of that color. Make it rare even if some find it ugly like some of the mopars of the past.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by A12

........and what wheels do you have picked out to replace the "winter" ones? tonguue

Double ugly there in that morbid color and cheap-looking wheels.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 03:35 PM

Not many variations on non-metallic greys. At least with green, there was a pretty decent range and while not my favorite, is certainly livable.

Agree with others that modern greys look like primer with clear coat on them. What's next flat black....oh wait.

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 03:41 PM

What rims would look better? Ive noticed some are flat, some gloss. Seems the trend on many sports, higher end cars and even sport suv-s is the "black" rim. Better then the Foose years imo.

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 04:31 PM

I think the R/T polished rims are the best ones, but while searching for pictures came across polished Demon rims............... work At any rate nothing can make the tombstone color look any better.

Attached picture 30.jpg
Attached picture 31.jpg
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 05:35 PM

I'd prefer any color (Even a darker shade) over the destroyer gray..It looks like primer
Posted By: topside

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 05:35 PM

Grey should be so lucky laugh2 !
I've seen some greys that have more green or blue, which I like better than the yellow/brown cast.
I kinda like that darker grey on current Jeeps.
But they all look a bit industrial, better suited to trucks.
Black wheels just look like cheap rattle-can fixes on garfed wheels.
They eliminate what should be a point of interest.

Bear in mind that I'm perfectly happy with triple green, which was common in '68-'70...
Regardless, I'm glad we all don't insist on the same thing.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
I'd prefer any color (Even a darker shade) over the destroyer gray..It looks like primer

iagree iagree iagree Except yellow.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 06:59 PM

I tend to like the High Impact colors best.
F8 green I can tolerate, the wife absolutely hates it.

The Destroyer gray is at the top of my HATE list, It looks like clear coated primer. puke
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Seems that just about every manufacture has a "Destroyer/Battleship Gray" now and it seems to be one of those love it or hate it colors like GREEN Mopars of the muscle car era. So I'm wondering if these Destroyer Gray/Grey cars will be loved or hated 40 or 50 years from now??

[Linked Image]

Looks like someone tried to buff primer. Without a doubt the ugliest color I've ever seen.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 07:44 PM

Seems like a lot of people hate this color (Destroyer Gray) currently. I'm willing to bet some of the same people 25-30 years from now will come to accept it, since by then, it will be a very rare and hardly seen color on a Dodge vehicle. stirthepot
Posted By: Neil

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 07:47 PM

It looks good on the right kind of car. Slab sided new Challengers are not the best canvas for it.

I've seen this one in person at an indoor car show and could not stop starring at it. It also had a burnt orange interior that was out of sight.

https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2015/06/043-1932-Ford-Coupe.jpg
Posted By: GY3

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 08:24 PM

Destroyer Gay
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 08:30 PM

Gray and desert tan are part of the current industrial/military styling. So you can look armored-up on your way to Starbucks.

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 08:56 PM

Hmmm..... Look at the flat brick front bumper when done, a face only a mother could love. BUT id bet if one was to buy a new DG and park it, in 25 years it would be a money maker, maybe not.

Posted By: cudatom

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Seems like a lot of people hate this color (Destroyer Gray) currently. I'm willing to bet some of the same people 25-30 years from now will come to accept it, since by then, it will be a very rare and hardly seen color on a Dodge vehicle. stirthepot

Maybe but I still hate limelight. We called it monkey vomit green in HS and I still think the same today.
Posted By: loco340cuda

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 09:59 PM

I personally like DG I think it looks cool, but have wondered the same thing, if these colors will be popular or sought after in about 25 years from now.

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 10:02 PM

In 1970 were men beating down dealership doors for this color?

Attached picture DSCN7419a (3).JPG
Posted By: Handygun

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 10:27 PM

A guy at work has a Durango SRT in that haze gray color, asked him if Dodge gave him a free car cover with his SUV, he didnt get it. Waiting for the new Dak or Wagoneer and if it's a go I'll be getting it in F8 if availible

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 11:34 PM

Since FCA has dropped DG .., you Greenie apimp obviously are more up to date as far as what the buying public wants ...

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/16/20 11:38 PM

BTW ... how about this sTyLe ? apimp

Attached picture 93D18C24-74F7-490B-9E94-16FF7795EBE9.png

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Handygun
A guy at work has a Durango SRT in that haze gray color, asked him if Dodge gave him a free car cover with his SUV, he didnt get it.

laugh2 Good one. up

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 12:15 AM

Looks like my outdoor male cats peed on it for about a month.

Probably park it anyplace in Detroit and it would be safe, except for the tires/rims.

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
I think the R/T polished rims are the best ones, but while searching for pictures came across polished Demon rims............... work At any rate nothing can make the tombstone color look any better.

Bottom wheels pictured looks great. Top wheels on the challenger are not polished, they are the garbage vacuum plate chrome wheels. I had them on a charger and when they're clean they are blinding. They looked perfect on that car, but started to separate after 13k miles, 2 wheels replaced under warranty, at 26k i got rid of the car

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Potatohead
Looks like my outdoor male cats peed on it for about a month.

Probably park it anyplace in Detroit and it would be safe, except for the tires/rims.

Ad in one of the best current theft deterrents a MANUAL TRANSMISSION and then ad five wheel locks per wheel/tire and it MAY be there when you get back shruggy laugh2
Posted By: Moparnutcase

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 01:03 AM

No offense to those who like these colors.....white,grey,brown,silver,black,etc. or any shade of.....................sorry SO boring!!! Please give me color!!!! Blue,red,yellow,orange,purple,something along these lines. Can't stand the drab colors of cars today!!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 01:16 AM

In 1970 were men beating down dealership doors for this color?

Battleship Grey will never be Panther Pink, ever.

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 01:26 AM

Buy now folks, 43k charger daytona.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Dodge-Charger-R-T/274577007289?hash=item3fee10a2b9:g:C1kAAOSwuF5fkIT3

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 01:37 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Dodge-Charger-R-T/274577007289?hash=item3fee10a2b9:g:C1kAAOSwuF5fkIT3

pOtO ... that’s a half baked linky .... tsk apimp
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 03:19 PM

We dont like grey in the least.My wife and i partial to sublime/lime green though. drool
Posted By: moparx

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 04:59 PM

pOtO ... that’s a half baked linky .... tsk apimp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Dodge-Charger-R-T/274577007289?
better ?
beer
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/17/20 08:23 PM

I like that color and if were in the market for another new/used car I would search one out, but then again I tend to be going in a gray phase right now, 2018 Ram 3500 in Granite Crystal, 2019 GS in Shadow Gray and our '68 road runner in Avalanche Gray. Actually have been thinking of painting the '70 Challenger in Destroyer.....

Attached picture SKMBT_C36420100916140_0001 (2).jpg
Posted By: Faust

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/23/20 01:38 AM

When I was a kid, all of the "three decker" rental properties were painted Battleship Gray. Recently I asked a real old timer about that color. It seems that the Navy had a million tons left over from WWII. A trip to Southern Rhode Island got you all you wanted for free.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/23/20 02:49 PM

I Struggled but i settled on this F8 It was a tuff decision between Destroyer Grey, Sinastick and F8

Attached picture 20200911_193638.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: Will Destroyer Gray of today be the past green of the future - 11/25/20 01:31 AM

That color is horrid IMO (the gray or is it grey LOL) Either way , puke beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums