Thread: xcompmgr casts shadow over display when using VirtualBox seamless mode

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

xcompmgr casts shadow over display when using VirtualBox seamless mode

I'm running XUbunto and recently upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04

VirtualBox 4.3.12 leaves a "shadow" artifact across my host display when I run a VirtualBox guest VM (Windows 7) in seamless mode.

Here is a screenshot where you can see the effect on the right half of the desktop display.

I moved the (host) browser window so that it spans both monitors, you can see the shadow on top of the right side of it.
    This shadow acts like another window - I can stack other host windows on top of it by selecting them, but as soon as I select a guest window,
    the shadow is moved above the native host windows. The guest windows (seamless) have no shadow.
    If I change from seamless to scaled, this shadow disappears.

I run

xcompmgr -c -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55

to allow some apps like conky to run with a transparent background. If I kill xcompmgr this shadow
    goes away.

If I change from

xcompmgr -c -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55

to

xcompmgr -n -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55
    or
    xcompmgr -s -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.55

conky works and this large shadow is gone.
    Before I upgraded XUbuntu to 14.04 I did not have this problem using xcompmgr

Is this a bug in xcompmgr ? In VirtualBox? X Windows? I don't know where to file this.

Beans

Re: xcompmgr casts shadow over display when using VirtualBox seamless mode

I've had the same problem every couple of weeks under awesome window manager. I run xcompmgr with only the -c flag. I haven't noticed the issue with virtualbox, but with seemingly random windows leaving a shadow just in their location on the screen. Since it's so infrequent and I haven't noticed a trend in what causes it, I've just been killing and restarting xcompmgr when it happens. I believe I tried running it with -n at some point and had either the same problem or a different one. Maybe I'll try -s next time.

Also, I'm not sure if xcompmgr is being developed any more, so if that's where the bug lies, then ........